A Thinking Ape is a growing independent mobile games startup with big ambitions. Our years of success comes down to our belief in people: Both our staff and our players. We build games that foster communities and provide our players with tools to interact in deeply strategic and passionate ways, creating games that become a part of our player’s lives. However, building games of this quality is challenging, so we work hard to find the smartest and most talented people in the world, then give them the freedom to do their best work.
A Thinking Ape is looking for extremely smart and talented Software Engineers to join our team in Vancouver, B.C.
We’re looking for technical generalists: scientists at heart, and engineers at work. You should be comfortable with designing and implementing applications from whiteboard diagram to production, enjoy working on massive scale technical problems, and have the itch to make something people want.
As a Software Development Engineer you will:
- Design services for a large number of concurrent usage
- Work with advanced caching and write-back strategies
- Implement scalable, reliable and maintainable technologies for our mobile and web platforms
Your background should include:
- Proven software engineering talent
- Solid knowledge and understanding of web architecture
- Clear communication in code and in writing
- Interest in metrics and data analysis
Tell us if you:
- Have worked on an open source project (link us to the Github)
- Have developed your own iPhone, Android, or Facebook app
- Made something cool with Python, Objective-C, HTML5, Redis, ZeroMQ, or Mongrel
- Hold a BSc., MSc., or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent
We are a startup and as a developer you will have the ability to influence the design and development of nearly everything that we build. You will have to be very comfortable with ownership and management of your projects. As such, you will have the potential to develop into an engineering leadership and management role over time as we grow.
A Thinking Ape is built to allow you to do great work. We champion a culture of ownership, based on exploration and debate regardless of position. Our team is supported with an open concept studio space, movable standing workstations and employee-determined work schedules. We keep communication flowing with quarterly State of the Ape meetings, face time with founders and regular one-on-ones with your team lead.
Other perks our apes enjoy:
- Earn a fat pay cheque with very large year end bonuses
- Employee stock options
- $1500 per year towards your professional development
- Health & dental coverage for you and your family, including MSP and travel
Work life balance:
- Enjoy extra personal / flex days on top of your annual vacation
- Fitness reimbursement allowance to keep you healthy
- Monthly social & teambuilding events
- Flexible hours
- Play on our company hockey or dodgeball teams
- Participate in weekly board game / Wii tournaments
More awesomeness like:
- Employee referral bonus
- Well stocked kitchen with unlimited snacks
- Weekly catered lunches
- Birthday and anniversary celebrations
- Massage chair
- Awesome swag
If you’re ready to make the next generation of top grossing mobile games, we’d love to hear from you!
Know someone else who would be a good fit? We’re happy to award you $2,500 for a successful referral! Check out our website for more details.